The Zimbabwe Rugby Union would like to congratulate Abigail Mnikwa, the Zimbabwe Rugby Union Board member and Women’s committee Chairperson on being awarded the World Rugby Women’s Executive Leadership Scholarship.
The Women’s Executive Leadership Scholarship programme directly delivers against the core pillar of World Rugby to develop inspirational leadership on and off the field. The scholarship entails a £10 000 grant to support the recipients professional development. Abigail will through the scholarship benefit from informal mentoring and are being connected to inspirational leaders from the wider global rugby family.
Announcing the 12 recipients worldwide on International Women’s Day 2021, the World Rugby Chairperson Sir Bill Beaumont said “ on international Womens Day 2021 we are proud to be announcing 12 new recipients of our transformational Womens ExecutiveLeadership Scholarship Programme. We are fully committed to advancing women in leadership positions in rugby, and this is a key initiative that will have a significant impact on the future growth of our sport.” He added that “our 2021 recipients will follow in the impactful strides of the programme’s alumni, who have progressed to achieve great things as leaders in our sport. I would like like to congratulate all of our Executive Leadership Scholarship recipients for 2021”
2021 World Rugby Women’s Executive Leadership Scholarship recipients:
- Ana Tuiketei (Fiji) – Judicial Officer Fiji Rugby and Oceania Rugby
- Lanna Assaigo-Kami (Papua New Guinea) – Papua New Guinea Rugby Union legal consultant and volunteer, board member of a Coalition of Change NGO
- Annabel Kehoe (Canada) – Chief Executive Officer, British Columbia Rugby Union, Chair of the National Return to Play Working Group of Rugby Canada
- Meaghan Howat (Canada) – Board Member of Rugby Canada
- Abigail Mnikwa (Zimbabwe) – Zimbabwe Rugby Union board member, Chair of Zimbabwe Women’s Rugby Committee
- Peris Mukoko (Kenya) – Board Member at the Kenya Rugby Union
- Deuyenit Valenciano Cascante (Costa Rica) – Women’s Development Officer for Costa Rican Rugby Federation, member of the Central American Women’s Rugby Committee
- Natalia Diaz (Argentina) – Coach in Women’s High Performance in UAR, part of the Argentine national women’s team
- Hana Schlangerová (Czechia) – Czech Board Member and Technical Committee and Chair of Women’s Rugby Comm
- Rebecca Davies (England) – RFU Constituent Body and Club Development Sub-Committee member, Chairperson of Club Development in Staffordshire RFU
- Nahid Biyarjomandi (Iran) – Asia Rugby Exco member and first deputy of Asia Women’s Advisory Committee. Board member and Head of Development Committee of Iran Rugby
- Sarah Abd Elbaki (Syria) – Head of Women’s Rugby Development in Syria, member of Asia Rugby Competitions
Women’s Advisory Committee Chair Serge Simon said: “Through the Executive Leadership Scholarship programme, the landscape of leaders within rugby is evolving, with more women moving into decision-making and leadership positions. We are committed to ensuring that women across the world have equal opportunities at all levels of the game. Congratulations to this year’s scholarship recipients.”
Abigail Mnikwa joins a list of esteemed women in World Rugby to receive this leadership. Congratulations and best wishes.